Friday, September 23, 2005

week in recount

It's been a week already since my last update. Hell of a week as usual and I never had the time to doodle. I have had a lot inspiration lately. It would have made a nice entry. But workload from school won't let that happen. This week wasn't really a hell week. It's actually the bum week with the exception of two exams and my everyday heaps of ridiculous readings for Ethics class.

Saturday. Party with the kids we were tutoring in Kaingin. It was really fun seeing their grannies do the Ocho-ocho. It was not a usual tutoring day. It was a party and everyone was in a cheerful mood. I got to laugh a lot. I rarely have a laugh with the Kaingin crowd. So that should be good.

I always wonder if the kids benefit from our tutoring. Are we just trying to convince ourselves that we're actually helping. Social justice through education. Honestly, I think what we're doing's very small. I don't see palpable gain on their part.

Ka phoned me about the coffee later at ten with Ken. After his month-long tour throughout Europe I thought it's about time he shares his adventure. I was really excited. After some four hours waiting, we went to Starbucks Binondo - Somebody should kill me now. I've been there twice this month now. And I'm already skint! I mean real skint! I had to borrow money from mother. - Anyway, Ken showed us pictures of The Louvre, Amsterdam, and Rome. I really want to get there someday. Oh, they - with his cronies I guess - also went to Polland, where the mansion in the movie Sound of Music stood. His friends were all excited to explore the mansion but he wasn't. He had no idea what The movie was about. He showed us the place where the I am Sixteen was sang.

Ka shoved me some movies. And I got to watch everything last Tuesday, rather than reading the tons of Philo readings for the following lecture day. They were Erin Brocovich, Adaptation, and Love Actually. They were all good, especially the first one. Now, whenever I feel down, I just think Erin Brocovich! Haha! I wonder if Ka's somehow manipulating me with the movies she lends. I really need the lessons in the movies - like when she lent me Shawshank Redemption - among other movies. I'm sure I'm making this all up.

Monday was spent on nothing at all. Naturally I procrastinated studying for Theo and Supply Chain later that night. And my gulay did I regret this! I was totally lost on our Theo exam, bordering helplessness. And just don't talk about the Supply Chain exam. I definitely sucked at it. I'm doomed basically. So, right after that I had those three movies to comfort me. Ugh, get me a life.

I think it was Tuesday or Wednesday that I got to hang out at the Celadon table. I was rather shocked to see this usually meek friend exploding. I mean it's a cat-fight! This is high school all over again: complication and everything else about love and friendship. It was immature but cute in a way. Really funny seeing at least two cat fights this week. One's in a thread of e-mails and one live. This is entertainment!

And just when I finished entertaining myself with the movies, I realized that there's a quiz the next day. The usual Maguyon quiz. I got lazy and decided to study the morning after. Nothing quite radical happened this week. I was rather disappointed though 'coz I usually find something worth writing about every week.

Oh, yesterday Ms. Rosana finally got into classmates' head yesterday. Finally, people started genuinely articulating their thoughts. See, it's usually the pretty girl (i.e. drunk barbie) to my left who gets recite every time Ms. Rosana would require the class to participate. I guess it was the topic that stimulated people. It was about the concept of promise (of forever) that is in question. I could have formed a heartbreak club right then and there. Poor me never got to participate. Yes, my love life has never been resurrected after it died in high school.

No comments: