Monday, December 26, 2005

that something

Having a lot of mishaps makes it quite difficult to conclude that this christmas is indeed merry. Two of my friends suffered the loss of their loved ones just before the twenty fifth. It's kind of hard not to feel sad for them- and harder not to imagine such loss in my own life. I was totally clueless how to comfort both of them. Such loss cannot be comforted by words I guess. All I could offer was my being there, hoping that such would somehow bring a sort of comfort. There's no consolation in death; death is a loss that cannot be regained. This is the reason why I never give reasons that would make the death lighter to take. I think such takes away the meaning of the loss- or the lack of it to be more precise. I agree that, perhaps, the best way for a friend to comfort a friend is to distract her- not that you make the person forget about her loss but to reassure her that she has another person who loves her.

If it's not our own "legends" that ultimately makes us persist but our being with other people, what do we do after every soul we love perishes? I can't even picture that- even the quite detached experience of death scares me. What do we hold on to in these relationships that really lasts? I think it's a big challenge for everyone to find this one. I am afraid of the possibility that I don't really have this something with my loved ones. I am afraid that, perhaps, all I have been living for is nothing in the eleventh hour.

It's this something that we look for whenever we fantasize about our own legends but it's quite more pronounced when we're with the people we love. I suggest that we spend more time with our loved ones this christmas. In the end, it's this something that matters I guess not a perfect idea of why we are here.

1 comment:

andiepoo said...

Dude, may gift pala ako sayo, kaya lang I bought it the day before I left for Iloilo. :) Remind me before school starts.