Tuesday, August 14, 2007

metaphysical hullabaloo

Last Wednesday, after having coffee and the usual endless chit-chats with some high school buddies, I decided to write something about outgrowing your best friends. I even wrote something in my journal (the physical one, obviously). It was something like noticing their limits and that, because of these limits, they won't ever understand you. They will remain trap in their own world, defending how they understand things. But I decided otherwise. I decided not to pursue the thought.

I mean, friendship's not supposed to be about who's at your level or whether you understand things in the same way. And, at that, I'm not even questioning this ludicrous notion of how to arrange people in your own version of the world. They may never understand me the way I want them to but it doesn't mean I can't remain believing that they're probably one of the few people who can.

On a related string of thought. I read from another friend's article(?) something about finding beauty/meaning etc in the totality revealed to us. I was like " been there done that" while reading the rest of her entry. It was about her mother, which I thought was very thoughtful and nice, but I utterly disagree with this. I think it's pretense to think that you actually know how everyone fits perfectly well in this totality presented to you; and the way it was written was all semi-poetic, which adds to that drama of finding beauty. But, to be fair, she's in her junior year. I was thinking the same thing when I was her age, I think. I understood Aletheia that way too (or maybe I just didn’t understand what she really meant). But beauty is something else, I guess. It's not about notions of systems or worlds and how what you see fits in that whole. It's mere recognition that something other than yourself is right in front of you, without you trying to define it. It's something that escapes- this to me is beauty.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

touch ako...you're considering me as one of your best friends... :) kayo din...kahit nilalait lait niyo ko...