Thursday, August 09, 2007

meanwhile, on the physical plane

Classes are suspended tomorrow. This only means one thing. It means that students shall efficiently make use of it to further their efforts procrastinating. To me, it means that I'll have more time making a career out of staging a storm-in-a-teacup coup d'etat in Perspectives in Development class 2 (?). It turns out that I'm not the only one who feels the skul-bukol syndrome every time recitation starts. We (I think 7 of us) plan on having a group study before class time and a scripted recitation during class. We can't take it anymore; anyone can just speak up mindlessly despite not having anything read for the class- and this doesn't motivate us to read. Some of us actually want to learn. But of course, we only plan on having a real good discussion during class time. We actually believe in the teacher, really. We're not planning to murder him of course. We're a Christian university after all.

In other news, it's official. My long motivated tendency to label my thesis adviser a bully has sufficiently been substantiated by the rather acerbic combination of tongue-lashing homily about punctuality and shameless cathartic display of disappointment he made hours ago during our thesis advisement session. There we were, with the three of us eyes boring the shiny surface of the conference table while he lambasted the fourth member of our group. Mr. Fourth Member, after barely recovering from the unanticipated vituperation, tried to sound enthusiastic about submitting the next installment for his thesis, but to no avail. Mr. Thesis Adviser, after dismissing excuses on meager improvements since Mr. Fourth member's last submission, asked him to "JUST LEAVE". I swear, I even saw Mr. Thesis Adviser emit a hint of black smoke through his nose. And, I half expected Mr. Fourth Member to just voluntarily keel over and decapitate himself- I mean I would if I was in his place. I was half-wishing the session to end and half-restraining myself to crack a joke to happily conclude round one. But, Mr. Fourth Member had already "walked out" and the ominous black smoke was already gone.

I'd say it was unnecessary, even bordering on the theatrical. I'd even say that it went beyond his habit of deflating students' egos. (And seriously, If you'd permit a bit of drama, I'd say he went from mere ego deflation to really breaking the poor guy's spirit.) It may also be that I'm once again not in tune with the times. Is humiliation the current trend for motivating slackers these days? I must watch more TV.

No comments: