Tuesday, March 11, 2008

decision week

This is decision week. I have to extend deadlines for my decisions to wait for one or two other prospects. In a matter of days I should decide. And, trouble is I'm not particularly the most in-demand unemployed person as of the moment and there's no way they would wait for me indefinitely. Uck. Let me tell you, to say that this is frustrating is an understatement. It's leaps beyond post-highschool-pre-college limbo of choosing between universities. Back then, I didn't particularly weigh the pro's and con's (but of course I was biased against getting into that ridic school along Taft. Lol!). I was in a way tricked into buying that reservation fee for slot (BS MIS batch 2006). In those moments of weakness and confusion, I got tricked into riding on my highschool friend and his mother's infectious zeal to get into that good university. The fates arranged it for me, I thought. And boy do I not believe in fates these days. I mean it's all good to believe in some sort of providence but I just can't believe that this providence is very genocidal and picky- I mean look at those children sold to prostitution, did some ridic universal and fucked-up force planned on it? Ugh, why do I always get into discussing theology in a categorically unrelated issue... Point is I'm confused and I just hope to get into something I can be good at and with which I can affect other people positively. Ha! At least I'm sure that I can get hired. That's quite a comforting thought for minute ego. And no, I'm no atheist.

Speaking of comforting egos. I had quite a pursposeful weekend. I attended this Youth Vote 2010 event at the Asian Institute of Management, which to our surprise was just behind Greenbelt 1. Youth Vote 2010 was organized by Young Public Servants (under a certain NGO). It was first among a series of forums conducted with various young "leaders" and 2010 presedentiables. I though it was very timely considering recent charges of corruption and people power stalemates. First thing that came into my my was how would presedentiable accomodate public scrutiny of fund allocation special for national projects- and then the pork barrel, etc, etc. I thought people my age would prefer this sort of institutionalized reforms rather than jump into the bandwagon of mob rule and intimidation (but of course I do want the president to resign). I thought such a sign of maturing democracy in this country. We were grouped into different breakout sessions with different issues to discuss (i.e. education, good governance, peace and security, employment, poverty alleviation). At the end of those sessions, we came up with 3 questions about the issue assigned to us to ask the presidentiables. Etc, etc, etc. It was fun despite not getting ot talk to a real presidentiable. Some mini-celebs in the event: 90's has-been Jaime Garchitorena, Youth rep./host/he's-everywhere Bam Aquino, Sen. Kiko Pangilinan, Berty Lim (some business person implicated(? lol!) by Lozada). I also met students leaders from other universities. Booze and bands at the end of the program.

No comments: