Tuesday, March 14, 2006

near-grad happenings

Yes, I'm trying too sift out every bit of sense from the short while of my unemployed life. No, I'm not trying hard punishing myself for not getting "real" interviews or exams for any "real" job. Graduating peeps have this general principle that it's fabulous to bum around for the first few months. Bizarre if you ask me, but I'm jumping on the bandwagon for rationalization purposes. Going back to my initial musing, the universe was kind enough to provide humor despite the more obvious void:

Cool #1: Went to school yesterday to talk to DS chair. I was half expecting someone intimidating but, luckily, he was kind enough to hear my mind-numbing explanation as to why I’m taking another course. He concluded that I had to take it for a year and a half. Glad that’s over-I really have to work on eloquence. I remember the secretary half- smirking when I told her I was the kid who figured out what he really wants to do after 4 years of excruciating MIS “training”.

Cool #2: I got all my grades finally. It’s the first time that there’s not a C+! All were B’s except for Jap (A)! I was a bit disappointed in Philo though. My papers were really high except for the orals! The B’s in Theo and Decision Analysis were a bit surprising. I was expecting C+’s in both. Moving on…

Cool #2: After, I had dinner with Andz in The Old Spaghetti House. Pasta was yummy and the cheesecake yummier. We had to empty our pockets for that dinner. During the chit-chat, she told me it’s worse to talk about other peeps because doing so would mar the slightest sense of importance the two people have in the conversation. I had to agree. What’s more interesting than ourselves? We watched this old flick at her place- Orange Something? We concluded that it perfectly illustrated Foucault’s Discipline and Punish. Had to borrow her paper on History of Sexuality to refresh my grasp of Foucault more easily- coolness!

Cool #3 Bought two books afterwards: Hard-bound Lord of The Flies (rare!), and Eragon. Andz recommended the former. She told me it got her scared for humanity. I had to buy it! I have this impression that she’s one of those peeps who rarely allow ideas get to her. The latter is to satisfy my inner urchin. I had to slap myself after shopping.

Cool #4: Grabbed a coffee with Ka and Ken last Saturday- Ness was not available once again! We had the usual chit-chat about our plans and stuff. They told me they were joining the Amazing Race Asia version- I was like “what?” They have to submit a short video to apply. We are to shoot it come this Thursday. I’m supposed to prepare some witty lines for their dialogue. They prefer shoot the video while jogging. They have to pay me for this.

Cool #5: Watched Pride and Prejudice the afternoon before our coffee session (i.e. dibidi). Was the best classical novel movie adaptation I’ve watched. The English was complicated the way we read it in the novels. Neat! I didn’t expect Ms. Knightley to act very nicely. I love Lady Catherine!

Now, I can’t seem to read the Cosmos’s hidden message. I’m afraid I’m taking Ms. Zafra too literally. When irony gets the best of me, I tend to take it not as such. "The universe has a weird sense of humor", according to Ms. Zafra. Perhaps, experience makes sense when it doesn’t. I intend to be abducted by aliens to prove this otherwise. I’ve seen UFOs twice already so it’s not impossible.

2 comments:

andiepoo said...

Hee. So, how goes the blue rose? Roasted? :D I wish I were as loaded as you. Then I culd probably take up Information Design or something.

Eric said...

I wish I'm loaded as you think I am- then I won't have to hunt for a job this break. The Blue Roast was ok- not boring I guess. I had the chance to have my picture taken with Fr. Nebres! Fireworks were cool.